Austin's at the mechanic's today. Her electrics have become suicidal. Her indicators still work as hazards, but won't indicate when you're turning. A month or so ago we were fleeced for some work - £300 for a new head gasket. She's in good hands this time. The guy loves minis - he runs Mini Technique (http://www.spares4minis.com/), he just repairs and rebuilds minis all day long. What a wonderful life! Some of his rebuilds are beautiful. When I've got some cash Austin's going there for some sprucing up.We're ill. We both had lunch out yesterday, an hour or so later we were hit with the same nasty symptoms. Today's going to be spent in bed. We have to be better (and have the car back) by tomorrow, because we're going to Manchester to see The Shins. Raine's been waiting for years to see them. They were meant to be at Leeds Festival, when we were there last, but they didn't show. A few months ago we tried to catch them in Manchester, but the show was sold out, and we had a nasty experience with ticket touts. This time we have our tickets, and nothing is going to keep us away.
I was in the toilets of the library yesterday. C Floor toilets always have the best graffiti. There's a problem wall. Last time I was in there someone had asked, "Am I a freak for being a virgin." Then people gave heartfelt answers: "Don't feel pressured," "Me too," "Don't rush into it. I did, and I regret it." This time: "Is it just me, or are other people out of their depth with their course?" I love it. Of course, I have this thing for graffiti - I think it's great - pure art. On main road out of Liverpool there's a bridge, and for years it's had "The pies, The pies" spray painted across it - so randomly wonderful. At York Minster there is ancient graffiti - a statue is covered in 100's of years of names, and declarations of love.
Our recuperation plans: we're going to watch a film or two during the course of the day. We have 'Junebug' and 'The Squid and The Whale' from Blockbuster. Plus, I've got a new book to read: 'Man Crazy' by Joyce Carol Oates. Before I came to Lancaster, when I was still in college, I had this plan to read my way through the fiction section of Lancaster University's library. I've resumed work on this plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment